Monday, February 20, 2012

Michael Jordan


Today in class we discussed the impact of Michael Jordan not only on the sport of basketball but also with his brand and other items he is associated with.  It brought up a great question to think about; will there ever be another athlete that will have the same impact as him?  In my opinion not only was Michael Jordan the best to ever play the game of basketball but because of his fame and positive image his popularity still exists years after his retirement.  I’ve never thought too much until we talked about it in class, but lots of the top athletes today are associated with something negative, (ex. Kobe’s rape, Lebron’s “decision”) something that I don’t associated when I think of Michael Jordan (until maybe today when we talked about some of this flaws).

Maybe it was because I was so young when Michael Jordan played and I just see him as such a positive figure because of the great athlete he was.  Someone in our class mentioned today that athletes get paid to compete in their particular sport and not to speak on their political/religious views.  I think it’s a great point; Michael Jordan was smart to stay out of the political spotlight because you can’t please everyone and no matter what you’re going to upset someone.  

Regarding the article, ‘The Jordan Effect’ (Johnson, 1998) Michael Jordan brought in so much revenue not only in basketball but with his brand, sports videos, books, cologne, underwear, shoes, and sports apparel.  His items are still a very popular fad today as well.  In my opinion I think his popularity might have a lot to do with the time period he played in.  It’s hard to tell whether the players at that time are better than today’s players and maybe because I didn’t live at that time I’m not a valid source (just my opinion).  But I’m sure the popularity in the last 20 years in the NBA has changed one way or another.  It would be interesting to see whether the NBA was more popular back then or now.  With the recent lockout situation that cancelled the first few months of the NBA season I think a lot of people weren’t too heartbroken, but when it came back on Christmas Day it seemed to be more popular in my opinion.

-         - Alyssa Robinson

6 comments:

  1. I really do not see there ever being another Michael Jordan. Not only was Michael a great player winning many championships, MVP's, and dunk contests, but he also was a great endorser. So much money has been made off Jordan and his name, I just can't see the same thing happening with another player. I believe Kobe is very close to being on the same level due to skill and championships, but he just does not have the same impact; due to negative things such as divorce/rape. He also does not have the personality MJ did to have all the endorsements.

    Tyler Schaefer

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think eventually someone will become the next Jordan, but it will not be anyone in the near future. It is not any superstar currently playing or any person that is going to be a star in the next 20 years. In order for another Jordan to be born, all of the elements have to be the same as they were for Jordan. The NBA needed him at that time, fans needed him, and corporate sponsors needed him. Until the shadow of Jordan dwindles and we do not associate everything about basketball with him as we do now. Then I believe that their will be another Jordan, but who knows how long we will wait for that perfect storm.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with Alyssa when she talks about how there will never be another athlete like Michael Jordan. Yes, there may be athletes who can be compared with him, but no matter what, I think he will always be one step above everyone else. Not only was he a great athlete but like Alyssa stated, he's not associated with things such as rape and "the decision" like Kobe and LeBron. While he is not perfect, Jordan is usually in the spotlight for one main reason, and that is because of his great athletic ability. I think that he is an icon to America and still a role model to some kids today. The reason Michael Jordan is such a celebrity is because he is not only known about in the sports world. He has books, underwear, cologne, shoes, and the list goes on. In my opinion, no one will ever compare to the basketball player that Michael Jordan was both on and off the court because while he was a great athlete, he was also a great role model for so many.

    Heather Cox

    ReplyDelete
  4. I too would agree that there will never be another athlete let alone basketball player that will come close to Michael Jordan's brand. As mentioned by others players like Kobe Bryant, LeBron James, and even Kevin Durant compare somewhat in skills level, but either don't have the personality or are linked to negative things that hurt their potential of ever turning their name into a brand as Jordan has done. I think Shaq out of anyone since Jordan had a good chance as well, although he hasn't turned into a huge marketing icon he clearly has the personality.

    I think it's interesting obviously no player is perfect but nobody really thinks of Jordan's faults, but LeBron's "Decision" makes such an impact?

    I think it's partly due to the era we live in where everything about anyone is made into a big story. With the rise of social media, and media alone I think it hurts the "stars" of today. Not only do they get put into the spotlight more, but they fade out quicker as well.

    -Tony Fritsch

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think many people can agree Michael Jordan transcended the game of basketball into a global market and became the face for every young boy growing up to be "like Mike" as they say. I feel what Michael Jordan did for the game no other player in history will ever do again. I won't go as far as to say there won't ever be another player of his caliber because someone will come in the NBA and be an amazing talent worthy of being considered one of the best. Michael Jordan is the bar though and that won't ever change. I'm one of the biggest Kobe Bryant fans there is and believe he's as close of a comparison to Jordan as there is right now because of style of play and in terms of global presence.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree with Dane in that we will probably see a player of Jordan's caliber again at some point. With how much bigger, stronger, and faster athletes are now than in the past, I'd be shocked if we didn't. However, we'll never see another player with the mass appeal that Jordan had. Jordan transcended sports. Putting him in an advertisement would be a sort of "Midas touch" for the product being sold. The fact that social media wasn't a factor back then aided in creating his legacy, because the general public couldn't see his flaws like they can with today's stars. Jordan has set the bar for athletic superstardom and I don't see that being eclipsed again.


    Tony Parenti

    ReplyDelete