Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Tim McLellan: My Introduction

There are so many athletes that I would love to see play.  However, after much thinking and consideration, the two athletes I would most enjoy watching play are Lionel Messi and Alex Morgan.  Both of these players are big time soccer players and are both younger than 24 years old and they are some of the best players in the world.  Lionel Messi just received the honor of being named the best player in the world for three consecutive years which is a new record.  He is most likely always the shortest player on the field at all times but he is also one of the quickest and fastest players in the whole world and he scores goals all the time and makes the game look easy.  I really got interested in Alex Morgan this past summer as the USA women’s national soccer team made a run for the World Cup.  I really enjoy when USA soccer teams do well and are playing in the World Cup because for a little bit of time, almost everybody in the nation is a big time soccer fan. 
A little bit more about me is that I love all sports a lot except for the sport of baseball.  I really enjoy watching soccer, basketball, and football however and a lot of other sports as well.  Soccer is definitely my favorite though and I have been kicking a ball around since I was 2 years old.  I have been captain of my high school team, club team, and my beach soccer team.  My beach soccer team is one of the biggest things in my life right now and this past Christmas break, my team and I competed for a national championship in Florida.  The team consists of some of my best friends and my brother Ryan, who has been one of my biggest role models growing up.  This summer we will play in several different tournaments all over Michigan, Ohio, and New York to try and qualify again for the National tournament next year. 
I am really looking forward to this class a lot because I really believe that women athletes are just starting to finally get a lot more respect and popularity in their sport programs that they deserve.  I work the video boards for every BGSU women’s basketball game and every game has been really exciting and really shown me to appreciate the women’s games a lot more.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Tim,
    I'm glad that you have such a passion for soccer. It seems that this class has a number of people who are avid soccer players and/or fans. I did not realize that there were national championships in beach soccer but that is really cool that you competed in nationals. How is beach soccer different from regular soccer? I know that running on the beach is a lot harder so I imagine playing soccer would be demanding. It is understandable that your two athletes would both be soccer players. Who held the record (before Messi) as "best player in the world?" Like you I was excited to see the women's team do so well this summer. As a result, I now follow many of the players on Twitter, including Alex Morgan.
    Great start to your blog!
    Dr. Spencer

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was actually the first national championship in beach soccer this past year. It is a lot different because you only play with 5 players on the field at a time for each team. It is also a lot more tiring than regular soccer. There are a lot more volleys and bicycle kicks in beach soccer as well because the ball travels a lot faster in the air compared to kicking it out of the sand. There have been multiple people with two "best in the world" awards in the past though. I am predicting Messi will have a few more under his belt too considering that he is only 22 years old.
    -Tim McLellan

    ReplyDelete